Friday, March 12, 2010

Brussel-Zepperen, Adinkerke and Anti-doping...

Brussel-Zepperen – Interclub

My first race was Brussel-Zepperen, and the so called echelon race certainly lived up to expectations as strong cross winds were the order of the day, such is the nature of a place to place style event. The race was to be held over 148 undulating kilometres, 2 cobble sections, with 4 - 6 kilometre punishing finishing circuits.

After a short neutralised section, the race took off in typical Belgian style, as rider after rider went on the attack. It was not long before the 200 strong peloton had shattered into many small groups across the road as the result of a crash which saw as many as 50 or so riders go down. Fortunately I was positioned towards the edge of the peloton, and managed to negotiate my way into the neighbouring field and back onto the road to join the chase for the lead group. I bridged over to the crash-imposed break away as part of a small group but the effort had taken its toll as I gradually slipped to the back as the pace heated up and was unshipped on a tough drag. Soon, I was to be rejoined by what remained of a chase group, which I remained part of for the duration of the race. After 80 or so kilometres, we were pulled out of the race at a time deficit of 5 minutes to the leaders, and that was race over, much to the disappointed of the 20 strong group. We made our way to the finish in Zepperen, where we were to learn that only 40 of the 200 starters had completed the set distance. In hindsight, targeting such a challenging race for my first road race since August was a little too ambitious, as I felt I lacked the race fitness, and general bunch racing skills needed for such an event.

Adinkerke – Kermesse

On Wednesday I travelled to Adinkerke with team mate Dom Schils, for my first Kermesse of the season. The race was to be fought over 18 laps of a 6.1 kilometre circuit. It was pan-flat and consisted of a wide tailwind finishing straight, a narrow cross wind section and a long, cross-headwind segment back to the finish. At 14.45 the race started with 68 riders signing on.

Again, the race went out hard, and I was poorly positioned near the back of the field. This lack of judgement was to prove fatal, as the top riders; including the Belgian national champion (not Tom Boonen for all you comedians out there) disappeared on lap 1 as the race hit the first narrow cross wind section. The race had split up instantly with 2 groups ahead and riders falling out the back of the race. I soon found my way to the front of the group, and as the chase got organised did my fair share of work on the front attempting to claw back the early leaders. However, it was not to be and the group soon lost interest. Feeling strong I attacked out the front of the group and made it over to 3 Belgian riders, promptly joined by Dom! Unfortunately the effort was in vain as we were slowly reeled back into the bunch. With the time gap growing, the group was given its final lap after just 50 kilometres of racing. The group instantly broke up in the cross winds as riders fought for every position. After 8 laps, I rolled in at 26th place, one place ahead of Dom, with a group of about 8 riders (some of whom had “gone the wrong way” on the penultimate lap and had gained a shortcut!) Just 8 or so riders completed the full 18 laps. I felt a lot stronger during this race than Sunday, which must be a good sign, and hopefully with a couple more race efforts in me, I can build up to some better results soon.

Anti-doping control

Having completed our race, both Dom and I were randomly selected for anti-doping control. I find it difficult to accept the true ‘randomness’ of the selection where 3 of the 5 summoned to the test are foreign riders. Despite my reservations, I entered the control van armed only with 2 litres of Flanders finest water, confident of securing what would surely be my best result to date. Having undergone 2 anti-doping tests in Britain, the process was a quick and simple affair – my only concern being the control officer’s willingness to shake my hand after the procedure! I guess I cannot complain at having these controls at relatively smaller races, which can only be a good sign for the sport, but I do question the apparently xenophobic attitude of the ‘random’ selection...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog