Monday, March 15, 2010

Runkelen kermesse

Yesterday (Sunday 14th March) I headed 20 minutes to the east of Kumtich for a kermesse in Runkelen, which last year saw nearly 300 riders take to the start line. We were to face a lengthened course of 7.2km, to be tackled 16 times for a sum total of 115km of racing. The roads were generally wide with several tight corners. In similar fashion to last year’s edition, 226 riders signed on for the race, starting at 14.30.

In a field of this size, positioning in the peloton is crucial and having lost out in the first lap on Wednesday in Adinkerke, I knew the importance of staying near the front. The usual first lap foray of mandatory attacks started as the peloton instantly singled out on the fast roads, as I was left fighting to hold my position near the front of the field. However, slowly but surely I gradually found myself losing ground, nearing the second half of the peloton only a few laps in. I knew I would have to work hard to stay in the race. With a small group of 5 riders forming a break, the pressure went on and through a hard cross wind section it quickly became evident I was too far back, seeing the field singled out seemingly stretching miles up the road. I knew I had to move forward, so as not to get caught in a split.

Gradually, I made my way up to around the top 20 riders as the early break group were reeled back into the quickly thinning peloton. The race was on. With multiple attacks, a group of 8 riders went clear, and quickly built up a good margin. Unfortunately this was to be the winning move, and my slight hesitation to try and join them had cost me! With the group out of sight the brief chase was called off. And the attacks called on as what remained of the peloton fought for the minor placings. Feeling stronger and stronger as the face went on, I decided to try my hand with several attempts to go clear of the rest in the few remaining laps, each time being reeled back in as a bunch sprint became inevitable. With one last futile attempt on the final lap, I sat back and prepared for the mass sprint to the line. As rain started to fall, the final off-camber corner was going to be where the sprint was won, and it quickly became apparent that being in the first few wheels would be vital. However, approaching the corner, many riders accelerated from the opposite side of the road and I was trapped on the inside. With a final kick, for the first time so far, I made it to the finish line in about 25th place (for the second time running not actually appearing on the results list!)

Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come, as I feel my form is improving all the time now. Finishing 25th of 226 is not bad going and has put a solid 115km of hard racing in my legs. No race this Wednesday, but another local kermesse is planned for Sunday.

Final thought
“If you’re not going forwards, you’re going backwards”, and this certainly rang true today. You are constantly fighting for every position, filling every gap on the road. Any hesitation will see 2 or 3 riders all vying for the same wheel in front of you. Any lapse in concentration and all of a sudden it seems half the field have shot up your inside leaving the hard task of making all that ground back up.

Bottom line: keep your mind on the race, feet on the pedals, and hands off the brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog