Sunday, April 25, 2010

Affligem

After 40km of fairly steady racing we hit the first climb of the day – the “easy” side of the Muur. It was anything but. To say I struggled on the 2km unrelenting, steep climb could not be more of an understatement. In reality the heart rate figures show their own story – spending almost 2 minutes above 204bpm, and peaking at 209! This wasn’t enough to stop me, indeed I still held an ok position over the top, but the Bosberg – just some 5km after – did. Scrambling over the top I found myself in the convoy, where I largely remained for some 50km, moving up a few cars and always coming back to the team car for a tow, and a fair few ‘professional bottles’. After 100km of the 150km race distance I was pulled out. The only consolation being just 17 riders of the original 200 completed the race.

I need a rest. I’m lacking the aggressive flair and form of a few weeks ago, and fear over-training but possibly more over-racing may be a key factor. I think the rest period will do me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog