Sunday, April 11, 2010

GP Pino Cerami

On Thursday I raced the amateur version of the GP Pino Cerami, a warm-up race to the main professional event of the day. Unlike the kermesse races so far, this was a point to point race – 71km from St-Ghislain to Femeries with 3 X 16.8km laps of a hard, undulating finishing circuit featuring an ascent of the ‘Tienne Du Dragon’ – a 250metre cobbled climb averaging 14 % with a maximum gradient of 20% - each lap. The race started at 11 o’clock, with 100 riders, on a short neutralised procession through the town.

We started fairly steady, but it was not long before I was in trouble, as Mother Nature called just 10km into the race! I drifted to the back of the peloton, hoping that the race would ease enough to allow time to get off, and quickly chase so that I could get back into the group – the usual technique for such an occasion. However, this is kermesse racing – 120km of flat out, aggressive racing, and it soon became apparent that stopping would give me no chance of completing the race, especially with just 2 following cars. I can’t really tell you what happened for the next 60km as we made our way round the large loop towards the finishing circuits as I was sat on the back – although Dom can tell you more in his blog.

Accepting I was not going to be able to stop, now that we had made it onto the finishing circuits, there was only one outcome: an onboard attempt... With a quite literal helping hand from Dom (he was pushing me ok) I ‘did the business’ and a fair bit lighter than I starting the race, was ready to tackle the relentless and uncompromising finishing laps. With constant undulations, twisting descents and a long exposed dual carriageway section, it was going to be a hard 50km. Not aware of how many riders were ahead, but knowing at least 2 groups had gone clear on the starting loop, I decided to take the opportunity to test myself both attacking out of the peloton and on the climbs, especially the ‘Tienne Du Dragon’ - the steep cobbled ascent mimicking those I will be facing in Zellik-Galmaarden next Sunday. Attacking every lap, and being the only rider still in the big ring (only one of the professionals in the main race adopting this strategy), I finally broke clear with Dom on the 2nd of the 3 laps and we were joined by 3 riders. Taking turns on the front, we gradually caught and passed riders, but on the final lap were still at least 2 minutes to the leaders. Gaining a good gap over my break group on the final ascent, I set about on a solo time trial mission to the line, but was soon swept up on the head wind dual carriageway, and set myself up for the long drag to the finish line. For the second race in a row I won the sprint giving a finishing position of 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog