Monday, May 17, 2010

A few more races...

I bring you this blog from a Belgian motorway, as Dom and I make our way back to England for the regional championships next weekend. I have to confess I have been fairly lazy this week for the blogging and indeed 3 races have passed since Stok.

Ooredegem
Last Sunday (9th May), we headed to Ooredegem for a fast crit style race on the short, tight circuit – each lap only 5km long, featuring an ascent of a cobbled climb. In fairly typical style the race went out fast, as the battle to get through the early laps in the first few wheels ensued. As ever, early breaks went and on just the second lap a group of some 22 riders including many of the favourites went clear. For the duration of the race more breaks came and went and I often played my own hand on the climb but never gained enough advantage to force a group clear.

Having dropped 2 of my 3 gels early in the race, in what can only be as a ‘schoolboy error’, I was forced to complete the remaining 100km on just 1 gel. Taking its toll on my body, a bout of cramp reared its ugly head in the bunch kick for the line forcing me to roll in towards the rear of the peloton.

Deinze
The following Sunday was a Kermesse in Deinze. The mainly flat terrain again provided a fast average of 45kph, despite a few technical sections thorough the town featuring 3 simultaneous 90 degree bends. An early break of 10 riders moved away and quickly gained a good 30 second lead over the peloton. The gap remained fairly constant and having attempted to bridge the gap on multiple occasions, I settled back into the peloton to see how would unfold.

As the race progressed, the peloton realised that the break was destined to succeed, and an impromptus chase featuring riders various teams was organised. After a few laps of hard chasing the break was back in sight and the junction was eventually made with 4 laps to go – still time for another counter attack to steal victory.

Never-the-less, the race came down to a bunch gallop to decide the victor. Forced to pull hard on the brakes on a round-a-bout 500metres from the line (after taking the alternate line proved to be the wrong decision), I kicked hard, weaving in and out of riders and eventually came home in 12th, just some 10 metres behind the winner.

Although I’ll take the result, it’s disappointing to know I could have been so much higher if the positioning had been right going into that final roundabout. At least I can see the form is returning now after my short break, so it’s looking up for the rest of the season.

Overijse

Finally, yesterday I raced in Overijse, an area known for its hilly terrain, and tough climbs. The circuit lived up to its reputation featuring 10 laps up an 18% 500m long climb, and steep descents – one of which cobbled.

The opening 2 laps were taken at a ferocious pace, and instantly I was suffering. It became clear that I hadn’t recovered from Thursday’s race and 85km training the day before left my legs fatigued. For me, the rest of the race was uneventful, unable to do any attacking, all I could do was sit in and follow wheels. Completing the full duration of the race, the group didn’t even muster a sprint for the 40 something place!

So that ends the week, and unfortunately on a somewhat downward note. However, I know the form is there, so if the preparation is right then hopefully I can have a good ride at the regionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog