Saturday, July 31, 2010

Nearly the double in Overijse

Today I headed to Overijse for a hilly 110km U23 kermis in the town of Tombeek. With a kilometre climb each lap, many exposed windy roads, and twisting descents, it was clearly going to be a day for a breakaway. Having blown a side wall during the warm-up lap and a bit of motor-pacing to get back in time for the start I was well warmed up, ready for the 3pm start at the bottom of the main climb of the circuit.


Riding with high confidence, I tried a few early attacks, and after the second lap slipped into a small break group. However, with the strong winds we didn't last long before being reeled back into the peloton. Soon enough counter attacks went with Dom making it into what became the main break away of the race. With the lead never reaching more than 40 seconds, the gap was always bridgeable, but the surging of the peloton as attacks came and went left the group out front. After a few attacks, I finally broke clear with 2 other riders as we made our way across the gap to the 7 leaders. With the gap down to 20 seconds however, I entered the twisty descent far too fast, straightened up to prevent near certain death while locking up both brakes, desperately trying to stop before the almost slow motion inevitability of hitting a poorly positioned garden wall in my head became reality. Bunny hopping the curb, I caught a patch of sand, loosing the front wheel, and missing the wall by inches – thankfully, the speed was reduced enough to escape unhurt; I knew those winters of cyclo-cross would come in handy somewhere! Jumping back on, I rejoined the chasing peloton, and found my feet again.


However, not contempt to sit in the wheels, later that same lap the peloton bunched up in head wind and kicked again. Joined by one other rider, we rode flat out and after 2 laps finally bridged the gap up to the leaders. After some through and off the tough course started to take its toll, and approaching the bell lap we were down to 5 riders, both Dom and I present. With everyone saving themselves for the finish, and all watching each other, we were joined with just 3 km to go by who Dom informed me was a former world sprint champion! This wasn't good news for the fast run in. With Dom making his mandatory attack inside the last km, I sat in the wheels waiting for the moment to go. Underestimating how soon the finish came up, I left the sprint too late and was jumped from 3rd wheel, eventually crossing the line in what I believed was 2nd place, (photos later showing this) but was only awarded 3rd by the judges.


Never-the-less, I'm obviously really pleased with the form, and cant complain about the results! I think a couple of days recuperation is in order after what has been a lot of racing in the last 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog