Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sinaai

Yesterday I headed back to Sinaai to take part in an 'Entrale Verwarming Werner Maes' kermis, a sponsor of the team. We were to face a slightly longer 8km course, located towards the opposite side of the town. Riding a warm up lap prior to the 15:00 start time, it became very clear that this was to be a problematic course. Pan-flat throughout, offering very high average speeds, the somewhat predictable chaos of a 90 degree bend, from a two lane road onto a 2 metre bike path a few hundred metres past the finish line (with primes every other lap) was all too obvious. In fairness, this isn't totally true: the bike path was next to a wide enough cobbled road, and maybe its against the spirit of the race, but I would question anyone can find a rider anywhere that is going to use the cobbles with a smooth bike path next to it!

With 134 riders taking to the circuit, getting to the corner first was an absolute must, and although I was fairly well placed, it seemed anyone out of the top 10 wheels was to come to a standstill as we filtered onto the path, indeed those at the back really did have to stop and wait, a scenario which we encountered every single lap. To liven up what was one of the most boring race I have done, with absolutely no breaks gaining more than 10 seconds at best, such was the nature of the circuit, I received an abrupt call from mother nature. Now that corner came as a blessing, and I assumed I would have plenty of time to stop and rejoin the peloton on the path. However, as Dom informed me after the race, I had stopped on what was the fastest lap of the race – the peloton holding 48kph as I chased back on! (the next lap riding at just 35!). In an incredible misjudgement of timing, I knew rejoining the peloton was an impossibility and set off in my own time trial effort, eventually being pulled out 20km later, with just 3 laps remaining.

Anyway, the race came down to 3 riders jumping out the front in the last lap, followed a few seconds later by a 100up bunch sprint. I'm not really sure what to make of it in all honesty, all I can do is look at it as good training! Next race Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog