Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hoeleden

Well, it was hardly a race to write home about, but I'll do so anyway. On Tuesday, I headed to Hoeleden, just a few km from here to a race on local roads. Riding a warm-up lap I was assured that there would “definitely be a crash tonight”, on a notorious corner where “crashes occur every year”, and “people always end up in the hedge”. I got the point. At the little later time of 6pm ('handily' meaning we would finish in darkness), the race rolled out with 107 riders taking to the start.


After an uncharacteristically slow start, the calls of “is the race started yet” - predominantly from an over zealous New Zealander - were answered as the peloton soon charged round the circuit. Unfortunately, I managed to spectacularly miss 35 riders heading off out front, and having gained a few minutes it was race over. Throwing what was left into the “it's just another training race” pile, I did as much work as I could, and even got in a little time trial practice for a lap or so, before rolling in just ahead of the disinterested peloton in a group of 4.


Next race is tomorrow, another local circuit just north of here in Tielt Winge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog