Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Final Weekend

Having found out I would be unable to start the pro race the team had entered on Thursday (due to me not having a Belgian licence – my team gaining a wild card entry), I decided to end the season this weekend with 2 races in Dilbeek and Haaltert.

Dilbeek

Saturday I headed to Dilbeek for a notoriously tough race around the town circuit. A couple of tough climbs, made worse by the 'imitation cobbled surface', although a lack of wind did allow for some respite. On these tricky circuits, the opening pace is always relatively slow, perhaps those with experience of the race wait a little longer, knowing what is to come later in the race. With the opening 3 laps of the 6 km race complete, the serious attacks started as groups attempted to go clear. A few more laps in and 30 riders had split off the front, steadily maintaining a minute gap.

However, its very rare that groups this size stay clear, and always in sight on the main climb on the circuit, the peloton steadily reeled in the group, prompting many counter attacks to move clear. Once again, I found myself missing the move as riders disappeared up the road, but with not far to go in the race and a favourable power climb up to the finish, I took my turn on the front to ensure the chase would continue, but without over exerting myself. Sure enough, as the race progressed the draggy climbs, with those imitation cobbles, gradually wore down the legs, and with 1 lap to go, the race was all together, albeit with 20 or so riders abandoning.

With 3 riders going clear at the beginning of the lap - including training partner Hamish Haynes whose guidance, advice and friendship throughout the season has been invaluable – and held on to contest the win. With 3 km remaining, I attacked from the peloton taking 2 like minded with me. Driving hard up the climb, and receiving little help, I couldn't close the gap to the 3 leaders, and despite dropping one of the 2, I was attacked over the summit, and couldn't jump onto the wheel. Still holding a few seconds over the peloton, I knew all I could do was initiate my sprint for the line nearly a kilometre out, dropping down the fast descent, round the off camber poorly surfaced corner, and up the 300 metre climb to the line.

Edging ever closer to the line, searching desperately for the flag, I was over taken by one rider in the final 10 metres, leaving everything I had on the road to take 6th place. As I have said in previous posts, I knew some good form was coming, and I hope I showed it in that final lap – its not the win I wanted, but a good way to (nearly) end the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog