Tuesday, July 05, 2011

3rd in Zwalm-Rozebeke!

On Sunday, I headed west to Zwalm for a hilly 104kilometre kermis. The 56 starters were to face 13 laps of the figure of 8 style circuit, with constant climbs and tricky descents to master; each lap consisting of a gradually steepening 2 kilometre climb, before a fast descent into a 90 degree corner (providing many crashes on the opening lap). The course then rose again before two tricky cobbled corners and into a fast switching descent, with patches of gravel thrown in just for good measure, before beginning the ascent to complete the lap. With a stiff wind blowing across the relentless circuit, it soon became apparent this was a race of attrition, and sure enough the peloton began splitting after only a few laps over the top of the climb.

Each lap I rode hard over the false-flat summit to stay at the business end of the peloton, and soon enough I found myself out front with 7 other riders for company. By the half way point, there were 3 early escapees ahead, my group of 6 and behind the remains of the peloton. Crucially I was joined by three Omega Pharma Lotto-Davo riders, whom had the interests of their team mate ahead, and so added nothing to the chase. With 2 laps to go, and feeling strong I attacked out of the group on the climb, and set about closing the gap to the leaders with 20kilomtres to go alone.

Into the bell lap, I had distanced the break, and quickly caught and passed the third placed rider, who by now seemed to be going backwards rather than forwards after a long day out front. Pushing on, I could see the rider in second over the climb, but never had enough to quite close the gap. Really working on my limit, the line couldn’t come soon enough but I had done enough for third. It’s a really satisfying result, and a real confidence booster– I hope that elusive win this year is not far away now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog