Thursday, July 21, 2011

So Close Yet So Far

Arriving back in Belgium from a week in the Alps on Sunday, (blog coming soon) today I headed to Lebbeke for an under-23 kermis. Having taken the last few days easy to recover, I headed to the race feeling fresh, and ready to race. The 50 riders who signed on for the race were greeted on the start line by a distant yet ominously loud rumble of thunder - the sound of air frantically rushing from tyres was a clear sign of things to come.

With the wind picking up and the sky darkening, the pace around the twisty, narrow circuit was fast, as riders tried to break clear early from the peloton. However, nothing was sticking, and I decided to wait a little in the protection of the wheels before playing my hand. After an hour of racing, I felt ok, not spectacular, perhaps missing the race pace, but able to stay comfortable near the front of the race. However, as the rain started to fall I started to feel stronger and stronger. These are the type of conditions I revel in and coupled with the incredibly cautious Belgian style cornering in the wet, I moved to the front and put the pedal down, easily moving off the front almost at will! Getting a little excited, I even had a quick dash for a mid race prime which turned into flat out sprint to the line with one other enthusiastic rider. I won.

Eventually I got away in a 14 man break, and we quickly distanced ourselves from what was left of the peloton. However, as always with a group this size, a few decided to sit on and with 2 laps left, I decided to attack to see if I could shake off a few of the parasites. To my surprise no-one came with me, and I made the choice to push on, now completely committed to racing to the line. Into the final lap, and one rider bridged up to me. We held a 15seconds gap and pressed hard for the final 5 kilometres.

However, with impeccable timing the puncture fairy reared its ugly head just as I entered a tight corner - before I knew it I was eating tarmac. As it went, the rider I accompanied soloed to the line, holding off the chase. Make of that what you will.

Looking ahead, I’ll be riding the Memorial Henri Garnier Beker Van Belgie on Sunday, and I’m assured it’s going to be a hilly one! Then the 5 day tour of Vlaams-Brabant where I hope to pull a big ride out!

Final thought: if you think you can win, then you might win. If you think you can lose, you will lose.




  

1 comment:

  1. Alpine holidays clearly suit you!
    Sorry about the puncture.
    Good luck for the 5-day
    Fergus Muir

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog