Saturday, March 20, 2010

It was always going to happen...

The foreseeable hand of inevitability struck today – I got lost. Having survived nearly 2 weeks with only simple maps and a little common sense as a navigational tool, my knowledge of the local towns is gradually building and naturally I wish to expand this network, try new roads and explore the neighbouring regions.

I have taken wrong turnings, and not really known where I was, but up until now I had always managed to ride in the right direction so as to find my way. But today was different. Instead of ending up in small villages or dead end farm tracks, I rode into Leuven – a major city! With my quick map print out (taking the ‘how hard can it be approach’) cutting off south of the city, I had no choice but to try and find my way out! With the language barrier still very much intact, asking directions was never going to be easy – with the occasional cyclist pointing and offering uncertain directions. In due course, after a long-winded tour, I made it out of the city on the main N road, which is never enjoyable, as a non-stop flow of lorry’s streams past. Thankfully, I finally got back on route after a not so productive detour.

N.B. While riding on unfamiliar roads, an actual map of the area is probably a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog