Monday, March 22, 2010

Boutersem Kermesse - 12th

Having practiced the course the day before, I knew what to expect in advance of yesterdays race in Boutersem, just 5km from Kumtich. The roads were wide, with a few tight corners and generally well sheltered from the strong winds. Unlike the kermesses so far, the circuit featured 2 climbs, and a 3 kilometre straight descent down the main N road. The weather had also deteriorated as rain fell on Flanders resulting in painted white lines becoming precariously slippery. With 5 races for my age group taking place today, I was expecting a relatively small field of between 60-100 riders. However, the Belgians had different ideas and in similar style to Runklelen, 200 riders signed on for the 3.15 start.

Having started every race report in a similar fashion, it almost goes without saying that the race proceeded in its predictably fast manner. In a cross rider’s worst nightmare, I missed the pedal off the start line, and soon found myself nearing the back of the field. Immediately, I started moving up the peloton so as not to get caught in any splits. However, I was soon to realise the previous day’s reconnaissance had done little to cement my pre-race plan of trying to get away in a break group over the main climb. With the high-speed of a Belgian peloton, the rise appeared as nothing more than an inconvenience as we sped around the circuit.

After the opening couple of laps, the race settled down and seemed to enter an almost “vicious circle” phase. Many riders soon realised that no break group could succeed on such a circuit –the 3km dead straight decent being used every lap to swallow any move that went as speeds in the peloton reached up to 45 mph. As riders eased off the pace dropped, leaving other to take advantage by accelerating away, before swiftly being reeled back in! It became clear sitting midway through the field would ensure I could ride out the wave of intervals without ever chasing, but also keep an eye if any dangerous splits occurred.

With 3 laps to go, after what had been a relatively comfortable 2 hours, I moved towards the “business end” of the group as the race entered its closing stages. It was only now that the real race was on. As the pace picked up, we singled out for the first time and I sat in the top 15 riders in a perfectly timed move. Groups of 2 and 3 briefly gained a couple of seconds but sure enough were quickly reeled back in. Not fancying my chances in a 200 up bunch sprint, I had decided to try and get away 2 km to the line, after a left hand corner using the subsequent climb to accelerate. Everything was going well, and on the final lap I was in position to make the move. Approaching the corner, a gap opened and with 3 riders a couple of seconds in front decided that was time for the ‘now or never approach’, although a little earlier than planned. I quickly bridged over to them and, knowing of the impending chase, surged past in what can only be described as a ‘Cancellara’ inspired move. With 1 km to the finish I had, a 4 second advantage, and gave it everything I had. It was me vs the peloton. With just 600metres to go, however the junction was made and a 150 up gallop to the line was imminent. With nothing left, I somehow found the strength to jump into a gap, desperate to still get a result, and sprinted to a respectable position 12th. Although obviously happy with the result, I can’t help but feel if I hadn’t tried to go away, then maybe a top 10 position was possible, having felt very strong for the duration of the race.

It’s strange to think that only 2 weeks have passed since I arrived in Belgium for Brussel-Zepperen. But those 2 weeks have been transformational for my riding. I’m starting to feel the same rider I was as a first year junior, setting out for my first season of racing. The confidence and attacking style that saw me win national races, and took me to a stage win in Kontich is returning and, when coupled with the strength I have gained physically over the last 2 years, is an exciting prospect for me. I’m getting a good feeling about this season already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog