Sunday, March 28, 2010

Merchtem Kermesse

Today, I headed for Merchtem – the destination for a large proportion of the team as decided at Friday’s team gathering. Despite the forecast for a cold and wet race, we were greeted by a mainly dry circuit although a harsh wind blessed the course. In customary circumstances these days, 227 riders, with a strong foreign contingent, took to the start line for the 116km kermesse – 19 laps of 6.1km. With strong cross winds for much of the circuit, including a 2 km narrow poorly surfaced section, it was clear the front of the peloton was the only position to race at.

Perhaps contrary to the previous point, both Dom and I arrived slightly late to the start and found ourselves lining up right at the back of the field – a certain error of judgement. As soon as the race started the field singled out and being so far back was clearly not a promising situation. Unable to even see the front of the peloton, I was totally oblivious to the race.

In a perverse juxtaposition, I was caught in an unavoidable predicament: moving forward the only option, at the same time as being not an option at all. The speed at the front, as constant attacks went in cross winds, singled out the peloton relentlessly throughout each lap. Very gradually, I made my way up the field, managing to take only a few wheels at a time. It took an age to get to the front, and a lifetime to stay there. A good hour had passed before I felt happy with my position, but as the race eased off the pace slightly, we bunched up and riders taking sometimes unnecessary risks inevitably piled in front of me. For sure, I was going to be fighting for every position.

At a relatively comfortable pace, a large split formed just a few wheels in front of me as once fresh legs grew tired. This was the only indication I needed to see that the race was about to kick off again. Without hesitation, I drove hard to bridge the gap, and sat nearing the front of the group. The next few laps saw the pace upped significantly and sure enough, the entire peloton splintered. Working hard, I managed to stay near the front, chasing every dropped wheel. As the race settled back down, an earlier break group of about 15 had taken 30 seconds to my group of around 20 riders. The gap to the leaders sat around 30seconds as both groups pushed on. Feeling strong, I tried several times to bridge the gap, but finding few willing to come with me. Realising going alone was impossibility, I settled into the group, as a chase got organised.

Slowly, we reeled the leaders in and with a few laps to go, the time gap was just 10 seconds, initiating the attacking. Seizing an opportunity to get away, I drove hard into cross winds bringing 2 riders from the same team away with me and we quickly set about chasing the lead group, working well together. After about a lap, the remainder of group behind caught us and 2 riders counter attacked. At the final lap, I again pushed hard to try and reach the 2 ahead. With the lead group still ahead, clearly we were not going to catch them, and I found myself in no-mans-land, unable to bridge the gap but still off the front of the chase. I pressed on and at the line eventually finished alone in 20th, with the sprint for the win in sight!

Another good ride today I feel, and the legs are definitely coming on strong now. Clearly top 10’s need to be the focus for the time being, and to do so, I need to get into the front groups. Had I started the race further forward today then maybe I could have made it, but there’s always another race just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog