Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hoxem


So, today my birthday was greeted by a flying visit from the puncture God. After Just 1 hour into a local Kermesse in Hoxem, the start being just 1 km from Kumtich, my race was cut short with an instant puncture. With heavy rain and strong winds on the undulating Hoxem course, I got off to a slow start and missed the opening move after 2 laps where almost all of the races ‘big hitters’ escaped off the front on the main finishing climb of the circuit. However after a few laps, facing a 30 second deficit to the 9 leaders, I jumped over to a break of 10, and we quickly organised a strong chase. Having moved well clear of the peloton, the gap to the leaders was steady at 30 seconds, when my luck ran out and I was dealt a puncture for my efforts. Race over.

In the end, the leaders stretched out their gap, the peloton was pulled out of the race as it was too far back and the group I had ridden with sprinted it out for 10th - a hill sprint finish which I would have relished! With only an hour completed today, I will now take the opportunity to race tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog