Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bever


 It’s always difficult coming to that ‘next race’ after dropping out of the previous one and my confidence had taken quite a beating. However, spirits were raised once the ever professional Al Murison, a team mate of mine at Glendene, appeared on the scene 20 minutes before the start: “Have you got a track pump? And cable ties?... And anyone to hand you drinks”. Nice Al, nice.

Today’s race was a return to Bever, the same race as last years edition , with some 250 riders starting the mid-week affair.

After an unexplained 15 minute delay the race got underway at 3.45 and it was not long before the obligatory crashes occurred in a peloton of this size after the early panic of 250 riders aiming for the top 20 wheels before the main climb of the circuit. Starting slowly, I twice found myself caught behind unexplainable crashes which split the peloton, both occurring at exactly the same place on the wide, smooth, open road... Similarly to last year’s edition, the complete road closures synonymous with Belgian racing were poorly instrumented and seemingly every corner we were greeted by newly parked busses, tractors. And crashes. I knew we had travelled West, but didn’t realise we’d made it back to England already.

As the race progressed - while avoiding various scraps of carbon- I felt surprisingly strong, a vast improvement on how I have felt so far this month, and held a good position at the business end of the race, even offering my hand in a couple of attacks although with no repayment for my efforts. A couple of breaks did manage to gain ground, although the fast speeds generated by the charging peloton put most attacks on hold. Into the final lap and a 4 or 5 man group had just done enough to fight it out for the win. With a downhill finish, I backed off a little in the sprint, 150 riders diverting off course into a separate finishing straight isn’t exactly my forte - coming in 41st place.

It’s a vast improvement, and a much needed one. GP Affligem this Sunday should be a good test of that statement. A couple of times up the Muur and Bosberg will certainly tell me all I need to know about my form.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog