Wednesday, April 27, 2011

GP Affligem Interclub

On Sunday I raced in the GP Affligem a 160km interclub around many of the notorious sections of the Tour of Flanders, including an alternative route up the ‘Muur’ and straight onto and up the Bosberg. Of note here is a certain E Merckx who won the race in 64 and 65. We were to face a 100km opening lap before four times around a fifteen kilometre undulating finishing circuit.  I had a good feeling during my 20minute spin out on the rollers in the morning, and started the race confidently, although it wasn’t long before I was found myself drifting toward the back of the 200 strong peloton. However, with the ‘Muur’ approaching I moved toward the front and indeed had my 15 seconds of fame (actually 1.5 seconds) leading the peloton toward the rapidly approaching ‘berg’.


Hitting the foot of the climb, I was well positioned and held my form over the steep ascent. With just 5km separating this and the Bosberg, the peloton was singled out as chaos arose in the splintering field. Summiting the Bosberg, I felt strong but with over 100km of racing left, perhaps not brave enough to attack into what turned out to be the 11 strong race winning break. With riders ahead and the peloton massively reduced in size, we cruised around the remainder of the large opening lap, almost the calm before the imminent storm of the finishing circuits. The 15km lap featured a couple of long drags, and the main short sharp climb 1km from the finish line. I knew I was having a good day and always felt as though I could jump into a break. After a couple of attempts, I got away with 30 km remaining with one other rider, and bridged to form a chase group of 20 or so. With the pace lifted by well represented teams, Bianchi with 4 of their 6 riders in the break, we soon distanced ourselves from the peloton, but with the leaders still out of sight, it quickly disintegrated into a free-for-all fight to the line rather than a collective chase effort. Knowing a top 20 position at least was possible, I kept pushing on but each time I found myself back in the group, as riders seemed unwilling to attack out of it and join me, preferring to keep the group together.

As we approached the final few kilometres, a couple of speculative attacks went but to no avail and we faced a 20 up sprint for 20th place. I stayed in 5th wheel up the final climb, knowing the false flat to the finish would be too far for an attack on the climb itself. Initiating my sprint, I instantly got the jump but paid the price for my earlier efforts falling 5metres short with one rider piping me on the line!

Nevertheless I am very pleased with the result. It’s only 21st - 20 people still beat me, but to put it in perspective in the same race last year I lasted 40km before blowing up on the Muur and spending the next 20km grabbing onto the team car until I was pulled out... It’s a huge step up, and is a welcome result. I had good sensations throughout and it’s given me the real boost of confidence I needed, and hopefully a good sign of things to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...

Search This Blog